A Ryan Reynolds comedy hits once again as his new film Free Guy sweeps up the earnings at the box office this weekend.
The 20th Century Studio's film, which stars Ryan Reynolds, was predicted to bring in between $15 million to $20 million over its first three days. Instead, the film grossed $28,400,000 this weekend, even seeing a 24% increase in ticket sales between Friday and Saturday. Free Guy follows a bank teller(Ryan Reynolds) who discovers he's actually a background player in an open-world video game. In a world where there are no limits, he's determined to save the day before it's too late, and find a little romance along the way. With $22.5 million from international ticket sales, the film secured around $51 million globally. Disney seemed to have been pleased with the movie's performance; so much so, they have already confirmed a sequel, Reynolds shared on Twitter.
″[And] after [three] years messaging as an original IP movie, Disney confirmed today they officially want a sequel," the actor wrote on Friday.
Don't Breathe 2 was also released this weekend starring Stephen Lang who plays a blind veteran who uses his military training to save a young orphan from a group of thugs. Though not as hot as Free Guy, the film grossed a little over $10 million at the theatres.
The Aretha Franklin biopic Respect opened at No. 4 at the box office this weekend, earning an estimated $8.8 million in its debut frame. Meanwhile, Dwayne Johnson's and Emily Blunt's Jungle Cruise fell 43 percentage points in sales, but still managed to scrape together $9 million two weeks after its opening.
The Suicide Squad, on the other hand, witnessed a 70.4% drop in ticket sales with a $7.75 million finish, after the film's chart-topping opening weekend which garnered more than $26 million at the theatres.
- Final Show Dates Announced for Reba, Brooks, & Dunn Residency ... ›
- Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over 'Black Widow' Release ... ›
- 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' Comes Out On Top At The Box Office ... ›
- 'Jungle Cruise' Sails Past Competition in Weekend Box Office ... ›
- Marvel Studios' 'Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' Had Its World Premiere Last Night - Celebrity Page ›
- Marvel Studios' 'Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' Holds World Premiere - Celebrity Page ›