The British Independent Film Award Show (BIFAs) is officially going gender-neutral in its acting categories!
BIFA directors Amy Gustin and Deena Wallace shared the news in a joint statement Tuesday.
“We’re very excited to be able to launch BIFA’s new expanded awards categories, which will more fully capture the range of exceptional performances and acting talent in British independent film and allow us to celebrate even more talent than ever before," the organizers shared."
According to Gustin and Wallace,
“The new performance categories are best lead performance, best-supporting performance, best joint lead performance – for two (or exceptionally three) performances that are the joint focus of the film – and best ensemble. BIFA’s established Breakthrough Performance award sponsored by Netflix remains unchanged and rounds out the new set of awards."
BIFA is also adding the new category “best debut director – feature documentary,” which will be sponsored by BBC Film.
The award for best music will be separated into two categories-- best original music and best music supervision.
BIFA has also welcomed new faces to its board of directors. The new additions include producer, and head of Home Team, Dominic Buchanan, Carmen Thompson, cultural curator for We Are Parable and producer at Aya Films, and Tim Platt, head of marketing and audience growth at the British Film Institute.
The 2022 BIFA nominations will be revealed on Thursday, Nov. 3. The ceremony will take place on Sunday, Dec. 4.
- The Artists Performing at the 2022 Billboard Music Awards ... ›
- Recapping The 31st GLAAD Media Awards: Winners And Big ... ›
- Tony Awards 2022: Full List of Winners - Celebrity Page ›
- Vegas planning new concerts - Celebrity Page ›
- Favorite Male TV Star - Celebrity Page ›
- Niecy Nash To Host The 32nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards ... ›
- Lisa Vanderpump Honored with Hollywood Legacy Award For ... ›
- A Look Back On Charlie Chaplin's Iconic Standing Ovation At The ... ›