How the tables have turned for Joe Exotic and his infamous rivalry with Carole Baskin. A court ruling sentenced Exotic to 22 years in jail for several crimes, one of the most notorious being that he hired a hitman to kill Baskin near her Florida home. After being sent to prison, the G.W. Zoo was operated by friend turned enemy Jeff Lowe, another prominent figure in Tiger King. Now, however, Baskin and her organization Big Cat Rescue have become the sole owner of the G.W. Zoo.
How Did Carole Baskin's Big Cat Rescue Win Over Joe Exotic's G.W. Zoo?
In a court ruling, it has been discovered that the G.W. Zoo, formerly run by Joseph Maldonado-Passage aka Joe Exotic, was fraudulently transferred to his mother, Shirley M. Schreibvogel back in 2011. Carole Baskin then sued Schreibvogel in 2016 because of the fraudulent transfer of property seen in the Tiger King docuseries. Later on, Schreibvogel admitted under oath that the reason for Exotic transferring the funds to her was to avoid creditors going after his zoo land and to avoid paying nearly $1 million in a trademark judgement to Baskin.
U.S. District Judge Scott L. Palk in Oklahoma City oversaw the Big Cat Rescue v. Shirley Schreibvogel case and made this ruling:
"Big Cat Rescue's constructive trust and equitable lien in and to the buildings shall survive any physical or title transfer of the building and shall follow any proceeds, except as to a good faith purchased for value."
Along with 16.4 acres of land, Baskin and Big Cat Rescue will receive several cars and cabins on the property. Judge Palk also made sure to rule that the current zoo operator, Jeff Lowe, must evacuate the premises and get rid of all the zoo animals on the property within 120 days.
To watch the story leading up to this moment, all episodes of Tiger King are available to binge-watch on Netflix.
- Snacking | Simplified with Josh McBride - Celebrity Page ›
- Nicolas Cage To Play Joe Exotic In Amazon Series - Celebrity Page ›
- Carole Baskin | Facebook ›
- More 'Tiger King' Coming to Netflix (Exclusive) | Hollywood Reporter ›
- Is Tiger King's G.W. Zoo Still Open in 2020? Here's What We Know ›
- 'Tiger King' zoo reopens to big crowds, threatening big cats with ... ›
- Joe Exotic gets 22 years for killing tigers and rival's murder-for-hire plot ›
- Nicolas Cage to Play Joe Exotic in Series From Dan Lagana ... ›
- Big Cat Rescue is caring for big cats and ending the trade. ›