During a new Emmys panel,"Quaranstreaming: Comfort TV That Keeps Us Going," Vernoff spoke about plans of incorporating the reality of the pandemic into the show. She said:
"We're going to address this pandemic for sure. There's no way to be a long-running medical show and not do the medical story of our lifetimes."
Conversations With Doctors
Vernoff also mentioned that the show has begun speaking to real life doctors about their experiences at hospitals during COVID-19. She revealed that speaking to medical professionals this year was extremely different than years past. Vernoff shares:
"Every year, we have doctors come and tell us their stories, and usually they're telling their funniest or craziest stories. This year, it has felt more like therapy. The doctors come in and we're the first people they're talking to about these types of experiences they're having. They are literally shaking and trying not to cry, they're pale, and they're talking about it as war — a war that they were not trained for. And that's been one of our big conversations about Owen, is that he's actually trained for this in a way that most of the other doctors aren't. I feel like our show has an opportunity and a responsibility to tell some of those stories."
Although production for season 17 has not begun, Vernoff made sure to tell the panel that they are working hard at writing the best possible stories. She says:
"Our conversations have been constantly about how do we keep alive humor and romance while we tell these really painful stories."
Be sure to watch the panel on Youtube or at Emmys.com at 8pm tonight.
- New Netflix Movies and TV Shows in June - Celebrity Page ›
- TV Cancellations: The Shows That Will Make A Comeback, And The ... ›
- When Are My Shows Back!? September TV Premiere Dates ... ›
- NY State Officials Investigating Chainsmokers Hamptons Drive-In Concern For Violations - Celebrity Page ›
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Will Begin Shooting New Episodes This Month - Celebrity Page ›
- 2020 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Officially Cancelled, Will Be Reimagined This Year - Celebrity Page ›