Today, Disney Plus announced the "This is Me: Pride Celebration Spectacular." Viewers can expect a variety show packed with exciting musical performances wherein artists will take on classic songs from the content streamed on Disney Plus, but reinterpret them from an LGBTQ+ perspective.
Nina West of RuPaul's Drag Race fame will host and perform. Alex Newell, DCappella, Frankie Rodriguez, Joe Serafini, Haley Kiyoko, Jackie Cox, Jesse James Keitel, Kermit the Frog, Michael James Scott, and Todrick Hall are also set to perform.
"At Disney+, we believe in the power of inclusive storytelling to bring us together and inspire us to live authentically. We are committed to amplifying the voices of our LGBTQ+ creators and talent, and platforming content that reminds people to love loud - and sing louder - in this special event," said Joe Earley, Disney Plus's global head of Marketing and Content Curation, said in a press release.
The event hopes to bring awareness to GLSEN, an organization dedicated to eradicating the bullying and harassment of LGBTQ+ students, so that all students feel safe and supported in their learning environments.
The event is set to stream on June 27 at 8 PM ET / 5 PM PT on both the DisneyPlus Youtube and Facebook pages.
We’re throwing a #DisneyPlusPride party! Join us Sunday, June 27 for the first ever #DisneyPlus ‘This Is Me’ #Pride… https://t.co/fvFHx9D6fC— Disney+ (@Disney+)1623933161.0
- As Pride Month Kicks Off, Celebrities Voice Their Support for The ... ›
- Loki Changes All Other Disney+ Original Series - Celebrity Page ›
- Jameela Jamil Cast in Marvel's 'She-Hulk' Series on Disney Plus ... ›
- NFL Player Carl Nassib Comes Out as Gay - Celebrity Page ›
- WATCH: It's Twice The Tony Hale In His New Disney+ Series: 'The Mysterious Benedict Society' ›