Buckingham Palace announced this Friday morning that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have informed Queen Elizabeth that they will not be returning as working members of the Royal Family.
After initially stepping down in March of last year, the couple retreated to Montecito, California where they continued to work. The couple has also signed a production deal with Netflix and started their own podcast in the meantime.
This news also comes shortly after the news that Meghan and Harry are expecting their second child, which was confirmed just a few days ago.
This was the couple's statement regarding their first step-down nearly a year ago:
While the Queen confirmed they would not "continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service," Harry and Meghan will still remain loyal to their duties to the U.K. and around the world. They will continue supporting charities and organizations they have been involved with throughout their time as Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
The roles of Duke and Duchess will now be redistributed, as the official statement reads:
"The honorary military appointments and royal patronages held by the duke and duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of the royal family."
The statement also concludes:
"While all are saddened by their decision, the duke and duchess remain much loved members of the family."
- Oprah Set To Speak With Prince Harry and Meghan In Wide ... ›
- Coming Soon To Netflix: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ... ›
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Podcast Drops First Episode ... ›
- Reactions to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Baby News ... ›
- Prince Phillip Moves Hospitals Amid Health Problems - Celebrity Page ›
- Oprah with Meghan and Harry, Interview Extended to 2 hours. - Celebrity Page ›
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Oprah Interview Recap - Celebrity Page ›