Kim Kardashian gained a victory in her divorce proceedings with Kanye West.
Kardashian was on a video call for Wednesday's court hearing, and West was absent. West's new attorney, Samantha Spector, did not object to restoring Kardashian's single status, although his lawyer said he had three conditions:
Any right to get reimbursement of money that's supposed to be divided up will be preserved if either of them dies. The judge granted that condition.
The judge rejected the two other conditions: That Kardashian would not transfer any assets she had in trust, and if she remarried, she would waive the "marital privilege." That privilege means a new spouse would not have to testify about communications he had with her.
Kardashian's attorney, Laura Wasser, objected to her client's trust being frozen, arguing that the reality TV mogul uses the trust for her business. The judge sided with Kardashian's team on this issue.
Spector said West's main issues boiled down to his retirement plan and that he still wanted marital privilege waived. This would grant West permission to call Kardashian's new husband with any problems should she ever remarry in the future.
The judge asked when both parties would return to discuss other matters. Spector requested 120 days, saying she knows "there is a lot of custody issues that need to be worked out." The judge granted the 120 days Spector requested. Both parties will be back for a status conference hearing on Aug. 5th.
The ruling came nearly three months after asking the judge to change her marital status. West previously challenged his estranged wife's request to be declared legally single.
As a result of the ruling, the reality star will no longer go by "Kim Kardashian West," she will only use the famous Kardashian last name.
- Kylie Jenner Shares Pics From Baby Shower - Celebrity Page ›
- Trey Songz Accused of Sexual Assault by Artist & Former UNLV ... ›
- Comedy Legend Carl Reiner Passes Away at the Age of 98 ›
- John Cena Marries Shay Shariatzadeh In Private Ceremony ›
- Watch: Our Favorite Lucy Moments From 'I Love Lucy' - Celebrity Page ›
- 6 Episodes of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" to Revisit - Celebrity Page ›
- Celebrity Birthdays Today, January 17th - Celebrity Page ›
- One-On-One: Lou Ferrigno Jr. Talks Family Legacy & New Role In ... ›
- Kanye West Fires Third Attorney Ahead of Hearing in Kim ... ›