"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." The quote is attributed to talk show host Phil Donahue and it bears as much weight now as it ever did. September is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month and our #SeeHER Spotlight Celebrity Melissa Rivers has borne the pain of a loved one taking his or her own life.
Melissa was a college student when her father committed suicide in 1987. She has been very public and outspoken about the emotional distress and suffering associated with such a loss and has become a passionate spokesperson for suicide prevention. As a board member of Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services, Melissa is asking everyone's support for Alive and Running 2020:
(more info here: https://support.didihirsch.org/AliveandRunning/)
With the challenges we are all facing due to the COVID-19 pandemic, mental heath professionals are seeing an increase in anxiety and depression symptoms, substance abuse and suicidal ideation. If you or any of your loved ones are experiencing any of these changes in behavior, please seek help or intervene and take advantage of the resources available.
If you or someone you know is in crisis, call 800-273-8255.
Or please refer to the resources linked below:
- National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month ›
- NIMH » Suicide Prevention ›
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline ›
- Melissa Rivers on Destigmatizing Suicide Prevention with Grand ... ›
- Melissa Rivers Opens Up About Suicide Prevention on Cheddar ›
- Melissa Rivers (@MelRivers) | Twitter ›
- Melissa Rivers (@melissariversofficial) • Instagram photos and videos ›