The Emmys released their nominations for the 73rd annual awards Tuesday, with significant victories for the LGBTQ+ community.
The critically acclaimed FX show Pose depicts the stories of LGBTQ characters and their lives in drag and ballroom culture in New York City. The show was nominated for Outstanding Drama Series, its 20th nomination to this date. Lead actress Mj Rodriguez, who plays Blanca, a trans woman afflicted with HIV, was nominated for Lead Actress in a Drama Series. Her co-star Billy Porter, Tony Award winner and Kinky Boots alumni, received a nomination for his performance of Pray Tell, an emcee and activist.
Rodriguez's accomplishment is groundbreaking, as she is the first trans woman to be nominated in the Lead Actress Category.
"[The show's nominations] mark a historic show that undoubtedly raised the bar for trans representation on television and changed the way viewers around the world understand the trans community." Said Sarah Kate Ellis, President and CEO of GLAAD, an organization that monitors and defends the representation of the LGBTQ+ community in the media.
The 73rd Emmy Awards premiere September 19th, 2021. The entirety Pose can be streamed on FXNow.
- Dyllón Burnside On The Smashing Success of FX's 'Pose' - Celebrity ... ›
- Hailie Sahar On The Legacy Of 'Pose' & Elevating the Trans ... ›
- Johnny Sibilly Talks 'Pose' Final Season, Hosting 'Logo Live' & New ... ›
- Johnny's Hot Take On 'Pose' Coming To An End - Celebrity Page ›
- How This Year's Emmy Awards Features The Most Inclusive Emmy Nominations Yet - Celebrity Page ›