Netflix just released a two minute video covering the most viewed shows and movies this year on the streaming platform. With many having spent more time at home due to lockdowns, viewership was a bit higher. The video also summed up the year's statistics.
Netflix 2020 Year In Review
The Start of 2020
A Rise In Action
Also rising in popularity was the fantasy genre, which saw a 60% increase in views. The new Netflix movie, The Old Guard, a combination of action and fantasy, was also released this year.
Anime movies and television were up by 100% in views over the year. A new adventure anime was launched by Netflix this year, called The Blood of Zeus.
'Love Is Blind'
Another show that became popular on Netflix this year was Love Is Blind. The reality dating show had a successful first season, spending 47 days in Netflix's top 10. A second season is in the works.
Black Lives Matter
Following the increased efforts to the Black Lives Matter movement this year, Netflix saw a 268% lift in viewership to the movie American Son, a 461% lift in viewership to Time: The Kalief Browder Story , a 1286% lift in viewership to LA 92, and a 5966% lift in viewership to 13th.
Just before summer was in full swing, the new Netflix mystery series Outer Banks was released and became a hit, staying on the top ten for 41 days.
'The Queen's Gambit'
A new miniseries about a competitive chess player starring Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen's Gambit was released in October of this year and interestingly enough, it saw a 215% increase in chess set sales!
'Emily in Paris'
Also released in October was the new comedy-drama series Emily in Paris starring Lily Collins. The show was influential enough to cause a 300% increase in searches for Kangol bucket hats and a 100% increase in searches for red berets.
- 5 Holiday Movies Coming to Netflix this Season - Celebrity Page ›
- Netflix's 2020 Holiday Calendar Is Here: See What To Watch This ... ›
- Google's 2020 Year In Search Released - Celebrity Page ›
- The Decade We Threw Back Most in 2020 - Celebrity Page ›
- Netflix Gives Fans A Sneak Peek Of 'Cobra Kai' Season 3 - Celebrity Page ›
- George Clooney Returns To Directing In 'The Midnight Sky' - Celebrity Page ›
- Most Notable Movies Of 2020 - Celebrity Page ›
- Netflix Reaches 200 Million Subscribers - Celebrity Page ›
- Katharine McPhee's Talks New Netflix Show And Baby's Name - Celebrity Page ›