Nickelodeon tweeted out their support of Pride Month by including some of their LGBTQ+ characters in the post, and one of them happens to be SpongeBob SquarePants.
Celebrating #Pride with the LGBTQ+ community and their allies this month and every month 🌈 (🎨: by @ramzymasri) https://t.co/pENmTaQB0h— Nickelodeon (@Nickelodeon)1592054553.0
In addition to SpongeBob, the tweet included Avator Korra from The Legend of Korra who is bisexual and Michael D. Cohen from Henry Danger who is transgender. The post instantly became a hit and went viral, resulting in fans tweeting the hashtag #SpongeBobIsGay.
Due to prior fan speculations of the characters' sexuality and his relationship with Patrick Star, the internet inferred this tweet as confirmation to those theories. However, according to People Magazine, show creator Stephen Hillenburg made a statement to Reuters back in 2005 mentioning he believes SpongeBob is asexual:
"We never intended them to be gay. I consider them to be almost asexual. We're just trying to be funny and this has got nothing to do with the show."
Even with all of these different speculations, we can confirm that no matter what sexuality SpongeBob actually is, everyone will still love him the same.
- Raven-Symoné Announces Her Marriage, Has Surprise Ceremony - Celebrity Page ›
- Pride Spotlight: David Mixner, Presented by Barilla - Celebrity Page ›
- Nickelodeon's Pride tweet reignites debate on SpongeBob's sexuality ›
- Twitter abuzz that Spongebob is gay after Nickelodeon tweet ... ›
- Nickelodeon reveals SpongeBob SquarePants might be gay in a tweet ›
- Spongebob's sexuality brought into question after Nickelodeon ... ›
- SpongeBob SquarePants Revealed as Gay by Nickelodeon for ... ›
- Nickelodeon Pride tweet hints Spongebob Squarepants is gay ›