August 23rd is the late NBA player Kobe Bryant's birthday, and in honor of the passing of him and his daughter, Gianna in a helicopter crash earlier this year, Nike is starting what they call Mamba Week to celebrate the life of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball star.
Over the past few months, the basketball player's wife, Vanessa Bryant has been working with Nike in preparation for this one week celebration. Nike summarizes the special week and says:
"During Mamba Week, Nike will champion Kobe's legacy and the Mamba Mentality that so fittingly represents the athlete and the man through three key efforts: providing a $1 million donation to the Mamba and Mambacita Sports Foundation, amplifying Kobe's message through the Mamba League and extending Kobe's legacy of inspiration and innovation through select Kobe products."
On the first day of Mamba Week, August 23rd, Nike will release a special collection dedicated to Kobe and the following day will celebrate the jersey numbers worn during Bryant's 20-year playing career, 8 and 24.
A Continuation of Kobe Products
After the release of the Air Zoom Kobe 1 sneaker in 2006, Kobe and Nike worked to create products like jerseys and sneakers for both sneaker-heads and basketball fans alike. Nike shared in a statement:
"Nike will continue to release Kobe Protro shoes, allowing the millions of fans he inspired around the world to keep Bryant's legacy going"
After meetings over the last few months, it was decided that along with the continuation to release more products celebrating Kobe, funds will continue to support youth sports initiatives.
Starting August 23rd, a special collection will be available including an exclusive jersey and Nike Zoom Kobe 5 Protros, available in several different color ways. Additionally, on August 27th, an exclusive pack titled Undefeated x Nike Zoom Kobe 5 Protro "What If?" will also be released.
- Watch The Trailer For The '90 Day Fiance' Spin-Off 'Darcey And ... ›
- John Boyega's Impact on the International Protests - Celebrity Page ›
- Dave Chappelle Discusses George Floyd In New '8:46' Comedy ... ›
- Mamba Day: Celebrating Kobe Bryant's Life And Legacy - Celebrity Page ›
- Vanessa Bryant Speaks Out After Lakers Win - Celebrity Page ›
- Celebrities Celebrate Kobe and Gigi Bryant's Legacy On Social Media - Celebrity Page ›
- IMG Signs Kobe Bryant's Daughter Natalia As Their Newest Model - Celebrity Page ›