Princess Cristina of Spain has split from her husband amid recent cheating allegations.
Princess Cristina, the younger sister of King Felipe of Spain, revealed she has officially broken off her marriage to her husband of 24 years, Inaki Urdangarin. The couple has four children together.
Princess Cristina, also known as Infanta Cristina in Spain, and husband Urdangarin said in a statement to The Times,
“By mutual agreement we have decided to break off our marriage. Our commitment to our children remains intact. Since this is a private decision we ask the utmost respect of all those around us.”
One week before the announcement Lecturas, a Spanish tabloid, leaked pictures of Urdangarin holding hands with another woman as they took a trip to the south of France.
Urdangarin responded to questions from reporters about the affair saying,
“These things happen. It is a difficulty that we will manage with the utmost tranquility and together as we have always done."
This is not the first time Urdangarin has found himself in trouble.
Back in 2018, Urdangarin was found guilty by Spain’s Supreme Court on counts of fraud, a $6 million embezzlement scheme and influence peddling.
He was sentenced to six years and three months in prison, but has been on half-release since last June, allowing him to live with his mother in the Basque city of Vitoria.
Princess Cristina was also charged with tax fraud, but was later acquitted.
In 2015, four years after the investigation into Urdangarin’s finances began, King Felipe relinquished the couple of their former titles: the Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca.
- Scandal-hit Princess Cristina of Spain splits from husband Iñaki ... ›
- Spain's Princess Cristina and husband announce split ›
- Spain's Infanta Cristina & Husband Inaki Urdangarin Split After He's ... ›
- Princess Cristina of Spain and Husband Break Up After His Alleged ... ›
- Princess Cristina of Spain and Inaki Urdangarin Split After 24 Years ›
- Spain's Princess Cristina Separates from Husband | PEOPLE.com ›
- Infanta Cristina of Spain splits from her jailbird husband after he was ... ›