Although originally set for 2020, the premiere of Black Widow was delayed due to the pandemic.
Eventually, on July 9th 2021, Marvel Entertainment released the film both in movie theaters and Disney+ on the same day.
However, Johansson alleges that this choice was a breach of contract, and filed a lawsuit on Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court. The complaint comes from the fact that her salary for the film is largely based on box office performance, meaning Johansson could lose around $50 million. The film itself scored $80 million in box office sales and $60 million on Disney+.
"Disney intentionally induced Marvel's breach of the agreement, without justification, in order to prevent Ms. Johansson from realizing the full benefit of her bargain with Marvel," says an official statement from the lawsuit.
Johansson's representatives claimed that they attempted to renegotiate the contract once learning that Black Widow was being released in theaters and on Disney+ the same day, but Disney failed to respond to their request.
Johansson has been a staple name to the Marvel universe, when her character Natasha Romanoff appeared in Iron Man 2 in 2010 and then went on to become an unmissable figure as part of The Avengers. Black Widow was supposedly Johansson's last film with the company.
Disney has yet to comment on the lawsuit.
- Marvel Hosts Worldwide Premiere Event for 'Black Widow ... ›
- "I Do!" Scarlet Johansson And Colin Jost Tie The Knot In Private ... ›
- Scarlett Johansen to Receive Historic American Cinematheque ... ›
- 'The Bachelor' and Hallmark Channel Collide in Corbin Bleu's New Movie: 'Love, for Real' - Celebrity Page ›
- 'The Bachelor' & Hallmark Collide In Corbin Bleu's New Movie: 'Love, for Real' - Celebrity Page ›
- 'Jungle Cruise' Sails Past Competition in Weekend Box Office - Celebrity Page ›
- First Disney Cruise in Over a Year Launches Today - Celebrity Page ›
- Ryan Reynolds' 'Free Guy' Dominates The Weekend Box Office - Celebrity Page ›
- Scarlett Johansson and Colin Jost Welcome First Child Together - Celebrity Page ›
- 'No Time to Die' Wins Big at the Box Office - Celebrity Page ›
- Ryan Reynolds Takes A Sabbatical From Acting After Filming 'Spirited' - Celebrity Page ›