After her exit, the Russian team won Gold, while Team USA won Silver and the British team won Bronze.
"Simone Biles has withdrawn from the team final competition due to a medical issue," said a USA Gymnastics statement. "She will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future competitions. Thinking of you, Simone!"
"Physically, I feel good," Biles told NBC's Today following her departure. "Emotionally, it varies on the time and moment. Coming to the Olympics and being head star isn't an easy feat."
She also mentioned not being in the right headspace, and believes her mental state would be a crutch and an unfair disadvantage to the rest of the team. She said she's taking the time off to focus on her well being and her life outside of being a gymnast.
Biles is regarded as one of the best gymnasts of all time, winning four gold medals for Team, All Round, Vault, and Floor Exercise at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
We wish you the best of luck, Simone!
- Meet The Hometown Heroes On Team USA - Celebrity Page ›
- Tokyo 2020 First Weekend: Big Wins, Impactful Moments & Olympic ... ›
- Michael Phelps Joins NBC For Olympic Coverage - Celebrity Page ›
- The Five New Sports Coming To The 2021 Tokyo Olympics ... ›
- Olympics - Celebrity Page ›
- Record Number of LGBTQ+ Athletes Will Compete in the Tokyo ... ›