The Proust Questionnaire was cultivated by Marcel Proust in an attempt to reveal the truest nature of an individual. Vanity Fair sat down to ask Stephen Colbert the 35 questions and his answers uncover a great deal.
Late Night's Sweetheart
In his interview with Vanity Fair, Colbert lets his true and unapologetic side shine through. Almost all of Colbert's answers were rooted in kindness and his love of family, literature, and tranquility.
If you didn't have the time to catch the uplifting interview, we have the questions and answers covered.
- Q: What is your idea of perfect happiness? A: Being confident of every decision.
- Q: What is your greatest fear? A: Boat accident.
- Q: What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? A: Losing control.
- Q: What is the trait you most deplore in others? A: Lying.
- Q: Which living person do you most admire? A: Father-in-law.
- Q: What is your greatest extravagance? A: Expensive liquor.
- Q: What is your current state of mind? A: Fairly breezy.
- Q: What do you consider the most overrated virtue? A: Chastity.
- Q: On what occasion do you lie? A: To spare feelings.
- Q: What do you most dislike about your appearance? A: Asymmetrical ears.
- Q: Which living person do you most despise? A: No one.
- Q: What is the quality you most like in a man? A: Courage.
- Q: What is the quality you most like in a woman? A: Courage.
- Q: Which words or phrases do you most overuse? A: Folks.
- Q: What or who is the greatest love of your life? A: Wife.
- Q: When and where were you happiest? A: Floating in a creek.
- Q: Which talent would you most like to have? A: Sing like Sam Cooke.
- Q: If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? A: Better shape.
- Q: What do you consider your greatest achievement? A: Kids.
- Q: If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be? A: A thing.
- Q: Where would you most like to live? A: South Carolina.
- Q: What is your most treasured possession? A: First edition books.
- Q: What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? A: Loss of control.
- Q: What is your favorite occupation? A: Performer.
- Q: What is your most marked characteristic? A: Offensive jokes.
- Q: What do you most value in your friends? A: Patience and forgiveness.
- Q: Who is your hero of fiction? A: Samwise Gamgee.
- Q: Who are your favorite writers? A: J.R.R. Tolkien, J.D. Salinger, Robertson Davies, George Saunders, Larry Niven, Henry Kuttner, and Isaac Asimov.
- Q: Which historical figure do you most identify with? A: None.
- Q: Who are your heroes in real life? A: Mother and wife.
- Q: What are your favorite names? A: Matthew and Caroline.
- Q: What is it that you most dislike? A: Wearing a wool sweater without a shirt.
- Q: What is your greatest regret? A: Not being kind.
- Q: How would you like to die? A: Quickly.
- Q: What is your motto? A: To seem to be rather than be.
- Jonathan Groff Teaches Stephen Colbert His King George Walk ... ›
- Jimmy Kimmel & Stephen Colbert Had An Issue - Celebrity Page ›
- Stephen Colbert And James Corden Return To The Studio (Kind Of ... ›
- Prince Harry & James Corden Spend An Afternoon Together - Celebrity Page ›