Tired of the cold and are you missing the glorious sunshine and sitting on the beach? We're taking a look at our favorite movies set on the beach.
Directed by Alexander Payne, the man behind Sideways and Election comes The Descendants. The film was shot in Honolulu and Hanalei Bay and stars George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Beau Bridges, Nick Krause, and Amara Miller. This drama is about a husband, Matt King (Clooney), who tries to reconnect with his two daughters after his wife suffers a serious boating accident.
Lilo & Stitch
Now, here's a movie that the whole family can watch, Lilo & Stitch. The 2002 Disney animated film is about a Hawaiian girl named Lilo (Daveigh Chase) who adopts a strange blue pet and names him Stitch. It turns out that Stitch is actually an extra-terrestrial fugitive in hiding. Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders directed this underrated classic that was nominated for Best Animated Feature in 2003. The animated film uses watercolors to paint the backgrounds to help capture the lush look of the Hawaiian element.
Here's a throwback from 1961, the romantic comedy musical starring the legendary musician and "King of Rock and Roll" Elvis Presley. Presley stars as Chad Gates who returns to Hawaii from the Army but has no interest working at his family business, but instead becomes a tour guide for his girlfriend's agency played by Joan Blackman. The film is directed by Norman Taurog and also stars Angela Lansbury and Howard McNear. This is just one of the three films Presley filmed in Hawaii including Girls! Girls! Girls! and Paradise, Hawaiian Style.
Holiday in the Sun
If you grew up in the late 1990s and early 2000s you probably found yourself watching an Olsen twins movie. Holiday in the Sun is directed by Steve Purcell, Alex (Ashley Olsen) and Madison (Mary-Kate Olsen) star as sisters who spend their winter break at the Atlantis in the Bahamas. Sounds like a dream vacation to us! However, the girls find themselves crossing paths with a criminal smuggling stolen artifacts. The movie is full of cheese and feels like a commercial advertising your next vacation, but it's a fun watch. The movie also stars a young Megan Fox.
The Beach has a major A-list cast starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tilda Swinton, Virginie Ledoyen, Robert Carlyle, and Guillaume Canet. This movie is based on the 1996 novel by Alex Garland of the same name and is directed by Danny Boyle, the man behind Trainspotting. The movie, filmed on the Thai island of Ko Phi Phi Le stars DiCaprio, as Richard, travels to Thailand to uncover a strange map that may lead to a beach escape.
50 First Dates
Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler are the romantic comedic duo starring in 50 First Dates and is one of our favorites. Shot in Oahu, Hawaii and directed by Peter Segal this movie is about Henry Roth (Sandler) who has a fear of commitment up until he meets the beautiful Lucy (Barrymore). When Henry believes he found the girl of his dreams, he learns she has a short-term memory loss and forgets him the next day.
Check all these movies out now!
- 10 Celebrities Who Are Active Environmentalists - Celebrity Page ›
- Our Favorite Adam Sandler Performances Throughout the Years ... ›
- George Clooney Returns To Directing In 'The Midnight Sky ... ›
- Best Shark Movies Ahead of Shark Week - Celebrity Page ›
- Our Favorite Julia Roberts Film Performances - Celebrity Page ›
- Our Favorite Angelina Jolie Performances Throughout the Years ... ›
- Our Top 5 Will Ferrell Performances Throughout The Years ... ›
- Top 10 Summer Box Office Movie Releases Of All Time - Celebrity ... ›
- Our Top 5 Joseph Gordon-Levitt Performances - Celebrity Page ›
- Our Top 5 Rachel McAdams Performances - Celebrity Page ›
- Johnny Depp Posts A Message And Hopes For A 'Better Time Ahead' - Celebrity Page ›
- Everyone Loves Nick Miller From 'New Girl' and Here's Why - Celebrity Page ›