When In The Heights released just this past weekend, fans were disappointed to not see adequate representation of Afro-Latino cast members with darker skin tones. The issue of colorism among the cast was brought to Miranda's attention by viewers of the film.
In an emotional note shared on Twitter, Miranda stated:
"In trying to paint a mosaic of this community, we fell short. I'm truly sorry. I am learning from the feedback, I thank you for raising it, and I'm listening."
In terms of Miranda's upcoming work, he assures fans that he has learned from this experience and promises to do better for next time:
"I'm trying to hold space for both the incredible pride in the movie we made and be accountable for our shortcomings. I promise to do better in my future projects, and 'm dedicated to the learning and evolving we all have to do to make sure we are honoring our diverse and vibrant community."
Miranda's full apology can be read below:
-LMM https://t.co/CHfdLgFUz3— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin-Manuel Miranda)1623709464.0
- Inside The Cast Of Every Upcoming Movie Musical - Celebrity Page ›
- One-On-One: Lin-Manuel Miranda Achieves Dream With Release Of ... ›
- broadway - Celebrity Page ›
- Anthony-Ramos - Celebrity Page ›
- Celebs React To 'In The Heights' - Celebrity Page ›
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Discusses 'In The Heights' Casting Criticisms with Trevor Noah - Celebrity Page ›
- 'In The Heights' Cast Opens Up On 'Impactful' Plot - Celebrity Page ›