This year has seen various distribution strategies of different production companies getting creative in their endeavors. Each company is seeking for their fans to be able to view films from the release date on and Warner Bros. has decided to do this in collaboration with HBO Max.
The Effect of Covid-19 on Theaters Everywhere
The coronavirus has had a massive impact on the cinematic world and the distribution of films. Massive theatre chains such as Regal and Cineworld have closed in the US and UK with no announcement of a re-opening date.
After Warner Bros. announcement, stocks in theatre chains plummeted such as AMC who went down 8% in stocks.
This is an interesting move of Warner Bros. who premiered one of their films Tenet in early September at theaters everywhere.
Warner Bros. Experience With 'Tenet'
The box office sales were not compatible with the amazing reviews the film received. In the US, Tenet received $57 million and $350 million worldwide. For comparison, the film cost around $205 million to make.
With this move, not only will theaters be impacted, but various Warner Bros. films set to debut in 2021 will be affected by the partnership with HBO Max.
'Wonder Woman 1984' is the First of the Bunch
Patty Jenkins quotes that the film will be available in,
"4K Ultra HD, HDR 10, Dolby Vision AND Dolby Atmos!"
The film will be released on HBO Max the same day it releases in theaters, December 25.
Helping HBO Max
This move could potentially help increase the amount of HBO Max subscribers. Statistically, HBO has found it difficult to convert their regular subscribers to the HBO Max platform and this move could help increase their numbers as audiences everywhere will be hoping to watch these new films.
Warner Bros. will be distributing their films on the platform from the day of release to a month later and will then proceed to continue distributing their films in theaters.
All Movies Impacted by Partnership
Wonder Woman 1984 is far from being the only film affected by the partnership.
Other 2021 debut films from Warner Bros. include:
For more information on the collaboration, make sure to keep updated with the Warner Bros. and HBO Max's Twitter accounts:
- ABBA Set To Release New Music, Holographic Tour In 2021 ... ›
- The Most Anticipated Movie Sequels Premiering In 2021 & 2022 ... ›
- Warner Bros. Studio Tours Have Gone Virtual! - Celebrity Page ›
- Happy National Popcorn Day: What Movies To Watch With The Snack - Celebrity Page ›
- What Have the Wizards of 'Harry Potter' Been Up To? - Celebrity Page ›
- Explained: What's Happening with AMC Stock - Celebrity Page ›
- 'Saved By The Bell' Star Dustin Diamond Passes Away At 44 - Celebrity Page ›
- Everything We Learned From the 'Suicide Squad 2' Trailer - Celebrity Page ›
- 'Godzilla vs. Kong' Dominates at The Box Office - Celebrity Page ›